Concept of buckets
Before proceeding it is important to clarify the concept of "buckets
". Each Object Storage account, in order to use the Object Storage service (both with the Web Client and with the dedicated connection client
), needs to first of all, create a container in which to store/save the files
. The technical term to define this container is "bucket". In the remote web space the bucket corresponds to the folder which the user needs to create. The name of the created folder will generate the URL of the files stored in such folder.
The URL used to reach the file uploaded in the folder will be the following:
|https://URL Region/bucket/file name
| https://bucket.URL Region/file name
Therefore, if the URL Region were "r1-it.storage.cloud.it", the name of the "backup" folder (bucket) and "file.txt" uploaded file would be the following:
There are a few rules, to respect and bear in mind, on the folder (bucket) which the user will create in the remote web space:
- the system requires that each bucket has a unique name within the same Region;
- it is not possible to use the name "bucket";
- the name needs to have between 3 and 63 characters;
- the name can include both letters (lower case) and numbers; it cannot include spaces; it cannot include special characters except for the . - provided they are not at the beginning nor the end of the name and are not consecutive;
- the buckets cannot be nested and can only be created in the root of the remote web space;
- it is possible to create up to 100 buckets per account;
Create a bucket
To create a bucket in the remote web space simply use the provided "Create new Bucket
found in the "BUCKETS
and select the "Create new Bucket" button.
The successful creation of the bucket will be confirmed with a message displayed in the "FILES
If creation is not successful, check that all the rules for creating a new bucket has been respected.
Delete a bucket
To delete a bucket from the remote web space there are two options:
- select the bucket you wish to delete from the tree structure and use the provided "Delete bucket" icon, found in the "BUCKETS" section;
- right-click on the bucket and select the "Delete" option;
Both options require confirmation to proceed. Once the bucket has been deleted successfully a confirmation message will be displayed in the "FILES
ATTENTION: we remind you that deleting a bucket is IRREVERSIBLE and involves the PERMANENT LOSS of all the items (files and folders) found in that bucket.